Tuesday 31 May 2016

One for the Bloggers! Get Your (Blog) Name Out There

Are you a parent blogger with something to say?
Are you longing to shout your musings about weaning/episiotomies/playground politics/any-other-topic from the rooftops of the interweb?
Maybe you have just started toying with the idea of starting a blog and need a gentle nudge to take the plunge?
If you are nodding along to any of these things then listen up and listen good.
This is your nudge.

I am nudging because for some time now I have been spectacularly failing at replying to all the emails and messages I receive from parents who are asking for my advice about starting a blog, or asking if I could have a quick read of a post they have written. I always promise myself that at the very least I will reply with some words of encouragement because I know first-hand that sharing your parenting thoughts online for all to see/share/judge is actually quite a big deal (and also, if I’m honest, because I strongly suspect that jotting down my own thoughts on this here blog has saved me from myself a little bit). I’m not about to start droning on again about how blogging has changed my life yadda yadda yadda because I have told you all that before. (It totally has though, just FYI).
(And it's super glamorous, as you can see)
Instead, I have decided to get involved with something that will help dazzling blog posts get the attention they deserve while at the same time mitigating the risk of me having another meltdown about all the inbox messages I can’t respond to (in my meltdown defence, I was knackered after leaving the boys’ shoes at my Dad’s and consequently having to sprint to buy them an emergency pair – I arrived one minute before the shop closed and panic-bought the first ones I found in their sizes, total nightmare).
I’ll get on to this blogging opportunity in just a moment (I’m wondering if ‘opportunity’ makes it sound like I'm pushing some kind of dodgy bloggy pyramid scheme? I promise that’s not what’s going on here) but before explaining what the hell I’m banging on about I thought I’d make a note of the one genuine titbit of blogging advice I have sent back to parents (well, all those I managed to reply to before shoegate hit the fan). It’s the advice I would prioritise over everything else:
Be yourself.
Yes I know it’s a clichรฉ and might make me sound a bit wanky but it’s quite possibly the most important direction I can offer. There is absolutely no point trying to write in the style of somebody else, even if that’s a proven 'successful' style because if it’s not really you it simply won’t sound right (it also won’t flow, just like my Year 10 English essay). Equally, don’t be too scared to write a post that’s similar in style or content to another you’ve read - the crucial thing is that it doesn’t feel forced. Obviously it would be immensely shady if you were to plagiarise another’s post and steal all their pictures but if you fret about covering the same ground as another blogger whenever you write then you’d never write anything! No two posts are exactly the same, anyway. The most important thing is that you are writing something you feel inspired to write.
And if you are feeling inspired to write then look no further…
Share your blog with GoodtoKnow
Starting on June 1st (and on the 1st of every month thereafter) a brand new blogging platform: Because I Said So (BISS)’ is being launched over on the GoodtoKnow website. Bloggers will be able to submit a favourite recent post to be considered by a panel of judges (me included, hello!) and between us we’ll choose five bloggers who will each get a paid guest blog spot on the website. Better still, the blogger whose guest post attracts the greatest page traffic over the course of a week will automatically land themselves a page in a future issue of Essentials magazine.
Whether you are a brand new blogger, a vintage blogging pro, a lapsed-but-returning blogger or somebody simply toying with the idea of giving the whole blogging malarkey a go then this is an amazing chance to get your writing shared online and possibly in print. (It’s also a great chance for me to be nosey and read some blogs).
Further info and details about how to link up your blog post to the GoodtoKnow website can be found here.
Go forth and blog! Good luck xx

30 comments:

  1. So glad I saw this on twitter this morning. It's so hard to find readers beyond friends and the bloggers you interact with. I've no idea whether what I write is any good, so here's a chance to find out! ๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like this is a sign! After feeling like I don't want to witter on to my friends about my personal parenting situation AGAIN, I toyed with the idea of writing a blog just this morning! Maybe I should look into how to start one! Thanks, feeling motivated about non-baby related things for the first time in 7 months!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much for this. Unfortunately, as it still relies on traffic, I'd be concerned it'd still be a popularity contest that I'd fail. Having said that, my blogs are too sweary for lots of people, so I think that's more the problem!(f***ing prudes!)
    I am certainly going to take a look and, after the disappointment of unrequited blogger messages (probably as stalkerish as it sounds), now I know it was because of damn blasted shoes!
    Good stuff x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! I swear a lot on my blog, it just comes out like that, and it hasn't done me any harm (apart from all the times people have complained about the swearing tee hee). Also, this is only reliant on blog traffic once the posts have all been read and the top ones selected. That's one of the reasons I was keen to get involved - it's not a popularity contest, an otherwise completely unread blog could feature on the website. Good luck xx PS it was definitely because of the shoes ;-)

      Delete
    2. I'd just like to say as the person who came up with BISS that the whole point is for bloggers who aren't so 'popular' but are great writers have the chance to shine. I don't have thousands of followers either, and that's why I wanted to make sure other parent bloggers got a chance - it's not about numbers or popularity. Purely down to the posts. Hope you'll join in! Ting from My Travel Monkey

      Delete
    3. That's brilliant to hear, have given it a shot. And chosen one that doesn't drop an f bomb for every other word ๐Ÿ˜‡

      Delete
  5. I wrote a big long comment which has departed. FU technology.

    Cheers for this x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah this sounds like such a great opportunity, I LOVE a little bit of blogger to blogger love.

    Only time I'll say this (instead of lovingly reading all of your posts and declaring to myself that motherhood seems so great but just, you know, I'm okay to live it vicariously through you for the time being) BUT...I wish I was a parent so I could join in!

    Great opportunity and can't wait to read some more blogs.

    Katie xx La Coco Noire

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for writing this! I've just started blogging as I needed a project that didn't involve me wiping my kids bums. I've always loved writing and this actually motivates me to do it - I wish I'd done it sooner. I have no idea if it's any good but I just enjoy doing it so much. And it's so exciting to see where the 'audience' is from. It's super exciting to see someone in Latvia or Sweden checking my blog out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a bloody fab opportunity! We're a little wet behind the ears with the blog 'stuff' and a bit linky-phobic. But this sounds great. And simple. Yay! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds great, and love that everyone has an equal shot regardless at how shite they are at social media. (me)

    I've posted my link up on idiotic camping advice, had a month off from my blog but this prompted me to get my shit together and start writing again - so thanks!

    *runs off to social the shit out of everything....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - there's around 200 entries already! Who knew there were so many parent bloggers out there??? I've had a read and I don't envy your job - size or choosing-wise! What a great opportunity though. Ta. Mumonthenetheredge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm thinking of starting a blog so this is great to hear. Now where the hell do you find out how to start one?! Just leaving work to be a SAHM and think blogging would be good for me...though I can't even work out how to comment on this!?! Doooooooned!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some great advice here. We've been blogging for over 3 years now, but it's a constant struggle to get noticed even though we've previously been BiBs finalists. So many blogs, you need to keep at it to get your name out there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is an awesome opportunity since I've been blogging for a while now but, like many others, have had trouble getting eyeballs on my work. Just realised that sounds like something from a horror film so on that note I'll bugger off and get writing. Thanks tons, Sarah Unmumsy since if I didn't read your stuff I'd know nowt about this! Here goes...

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad I saw this on twitter this morning. It's so hard to find readers beyond friends and the bloggers you interact with. I've no idea whether what I write is any good, so here's a chance to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just wrote my first extremely short blog hard to know where to start but we all have to start somewhere cant see me getting too many if any followers would be a miracle if anyone took time to read it so i wont get too excited.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorrell Coulson19 June 2016 at 19:30

    Just sat down tonight to get my bum into gear to actually put 'pen to paper' and this cheeky little opportunity has come up. Definitely the kick I needed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the nudge Unmumsy Mum! Just what a novice blogger like me needed! :-) Time to get on with it...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thankyou for this. I have literally just taken the plunge into the blogging world after pondering for over 2 years!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello! Is there going to be a new kinky for August? I hope so! https://this30somethingmum.com/2016/07/30/10-things-nobody-understands-about-nursery-rhymes/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't believe how many parents there are out there blogging. I only started in the wee hours of this morning so heaven knows what will come of it or if I am doing it 'right' but it has certainly been enjoyable so far!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brilliant and inspiring at the same time, thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this post. Yes nothing glam about blogging. Pjs messy hair and endless cups of tea inbetween kids, meals and school runs;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. After reading your book on honeymoon in Jamaica last year I have been wondering if this is something I would be good at. ( uh hum while crying that although I wanted 2 weeks solely with my husband I read your book and thought of my 3 children at home!!) Curse your book! My life is hectic, I have my own business 3 children and a husband who works away and yes this seems the perfect place to see the funny side of my crazy existence! I will read more into how to begin my own blog.... swearing being my no 1 priority ๐Ÿ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! I'm from Newcastle (UK) and I blog about everything family. I have a 3 yr old daughter and 4 yr old son. Check me out and please subscribe / message me so I can also follow you all.
    www.mam2017.wix.com/batmam - P.S I will be purchasing a domain in the future, but I've only been blogging a couple of weeks now. Love to all xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've just started a mum blog and would love some tips on how to help promote it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the nudge Unmumsy Mum! Just what a novice blogger like me needed! :-) Time to get on with it...

    goldenslot

    Gclub

    ReplyDelete